Monday, September 17, 2012

Skype w/ my missionary peeps

So..... after my post yesterday, our missionary friends in Thailand... Bonnie and Jon..... skyped w/ us this morning to talk about saving money.  They're 2 years ahead of us in this process of being missionaries in Thailand.... so they already lived our live here.....  and had some great pointers.

1- Cross the border into Washington to get our eggs and milk.
WE DID IT TODAY!
We got 5 dozen eggs for $8USD!!!! YEY!!!! And 2 gallons of milk for $2.57/each!!!!!!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!!
And we had $70 for groceries...... and the total came to $69.54.
So, next time you're wondering if God cares........  HE DOES.   Just remember us at the store today. 

AND...... there was BISQUICK!!!!! I can't wait to make pizza dough and bread and pastries!!!!!

I'm baking banana muffins now. 

AND......

My months and months of upcycling products into cloth diapers and more useful tools... has expanded my mind into making almost ruined food into something beautiful, and tasty!!!!!

For example.....  we had half a loaf of hard bread that I transformed into tasty french toast. 
Maybe this is what normal people DO with their food.... but I hadn't done this before.  Take something that had been in the cupboard or fridge that was on the verge of being wasted.... and making it into something tasty!!!! YEY upcycling!!!



2 comments:

  1. Yay! I totally spent the day talking G's ears off about the grocery prices there & lack of Bisquick! Praise the lord. I once entertained the idea of *i wonder if they could border hop* but wasn't sure if you could cross with food...
    I'm so excited for your new options, border hopping, Upcycled French toast, pictured muffins & eventually pastries. :o) God is GOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaaa Gary was probably LOVING that. hahahaaa but yeah.... we HAVE been shocked by prices. Everyone had told us from the beginning to border hop to buy food, but I was too scared to. He got a stressful quasi-"run around" with the kids on the way INTO canada, so I was afraid to cross over and to have to do that again. But it was such a great experience. I think overall it probably took about 3 hrs.... because the line to get out of and into Canada was about 20-30min each...... but it was SOOO worth it. I was SHOCKED by the cheap prices. We went to a neighborhood market, where normally the prices are much higher than walmart or a bigger chain..... but even so..... they were much cheaper. AND I ALMOST CRIED when cec said, "oh look Trace!!!! Bisquick!!!" God CARES. No.... I don't need bisquick for personal satisfaction or spiritual wellbeing...but God knew I was hoping for it.... and He provided it!!! WHAT AN AMAZING GOD

    ReplyDelete